Saturday, February 19, 2011

McGuire retains Broadmeadows for Labor





McGuire retains Broadmeadows for Labor

Labor has retained the safe Victorian seat of Broadmeadows in Saturday's by-election and its new member Frank McGuire says he is ready for politics.

With 77 per cent of the vote counted on Saturday evening Mr McGuire gained a resounding 54 per cent of the primary vote, but the party suffered an 8 per cent swing against it.

"I'm elated and all but exhausted," Mr McGuire told reporters.

"All of this has happened to me in less than two months. This was not on my radar. I wasn't a member of any political party. Now I'm a member of Parliament."

On a two-party preferred basis, he garnered a commanding 75 per cent.

The seat was held by former premier John Brumby before his resignation from Parliament.

Mr McGuire, who is the brother of media personality Eddie McGuire, was widely predicted to hold the seat.

The former journalist has fought off criticism and even a legal challenge against his candidacy because he lives far away from the electorate, in the wealthy bayside suburb of Brighton.

But Mr McGuire earlier said locals know his dedication to Broadmeadows.

"They appreciate the fact that I've always come back and given a hand," he said.

"I've always stood by this community."

Of the court action take by four unions, which tried to force the preselection for the seat to be decided by local Labor members and not by the ALP National Executive, Mr McGuire says he knows "it's nothing personal".

"All I did was put my name forward for a process when I was told I would be judged on merit, performance and what I've been able to deliver," he said.

"Now democracy has spoken and I'm the elected member for Broadmeadows."

The seat covers the suburbs of Broadmeadows, Campbellfield, Coolaroo and Dallas, and takes in parts of Glenroy, Fawkner, Somerton, Roxburgh Park and Westmeadows.

Earlier, Premier Ted Baillieu again defended the Coalition's decision not to run a candidate in the by-election.

"We said at the time we wanted to focus on the job Victorians had elected us to do and we're getting on with the job," he said.

"We have had additional pressures brought about by the floods in December the floods in January and the floods in February; that's our focus.

"I appreciate there's a by-election today and I know the people of Broadmeadows will be keen to have someone representing them."